The download package (links below) contains:
- a server part which consists of three files: meradio.php5, mr.xml and php.ini
- the mobile application MeRadio (Nokia and Sony Ericsson version) with its source
The file meradio.php5 has two main functions: First it delivers the radio stream URLs from mr.xml to the mobile application, second it streams the plain audio data (mp3) of a radio station to the mobile application, while stripping off useless Shoutcast headers, which cannot be understood by Java ME.
When you want to install this server on your webspace, php must be supported. Maybe the php.ini is also needed, which sets the property "allow_url_fopen = on". This is needed for customers of 1und1. And maybe the file extension php5 doesn't work for you. Then you should rename meradio.php5 to meradio.php. The file mr.xml is an XML formatted document containing some predefined radio stations mostly taken from the radio list of Ninj's Virtual Radio Symbian application (http://www.ninj.com/vradio/vr_list.xml). Put all 3 files into the same directory of your webspace.
Test the service using a webbrowser:
- Get the radio list using this URL: http://yourhostname/meradio.php5?rlist=1
- Hear the stream of a radio e.g.using this URL: http://yourhostname/meradio.php5?play=http://sc3.radioseven.se:8500/&clientid=123234324
The Mobile Application
Select the Nokia or Sony Ericsson version of MeRadio and simply install MeRadio.jar to your Java enabled phone. During the first start you will be advised to set the URL to meradio.php5 properly. Some Nokia devices need a port number after the hostname, otherwise an invalid locator exception might be thrown. This URL can be entered in the settings menu. Then you can click on Genres, which loads the genres (and radios) from the mr.xml file using meradio.php5. This may take some seconds, especially on Sony Ericsson phones. Then you can choose a genre and select a radio stream of interest. Now you should be able to hear the selected stream with very few or even no annoying gaps that often occur on other streaming solutions based on Java ME.
Here is the download link for the current version 0.2a:
- Radio list is persistently saved in the RMS (radio list doesn't need to be fetched from the server everytime the MIDlet starts)
- Radio list can be updated when necessary
- Different versions of MeRadio for Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones, as these devices support different streaming mechanisms
- Small updates to meradio.php5 and new radios (Techno) in mr.xml
Have fun with it and a happy new year
Here are the download links for the old versions:
- FileFactory: MeRadio02_all.zip
- MegaUpload: MeRadio02_all.zip
- FileFactory: MeRadio01_all.zip
- MegaUpload: MeRadio01_all.zip